I haven’t always been a fan of avocados, but one day I was & it was all because of guacamole.
And honestly I’ve never turned back.
How could I?
They are creamy, gorgeous green goodness.
They are the sole reason for guacamole.
Well, avocados and those smart Aztecs who first made it.
Side note – the avocado was seens as a symbol of love by the Aztecs & I am all for that.
Did you know that?
Guacamole dates back to the 1500s when the Aztecs made it with avocados, tomato, and salt.
Honestly? I don’t really understand why we need it to be made any other way.
BUT. I’ll take a good variation with some onion, corn, and lime juice thrown in every now and then. Not going to lie about THAT.
And some jalapenos. Spice is life. (should I get that on a shirt?!)
Anywho. Guacamole’s journey basically when like this. Aztecs → Spaniards → Modern Americans.
Now 90% of our avocados (here in the US) are grown in good ‘ol California.
Pause. Take a moment and do what you can to help those suffering from the effects of the fires out there right now.
Two odd things I learned in my pursuit of learning about guacamole.
- Americans who watch the Super Bowl consume 53.5 million POUNDS of this guacamole stuff on that day alone. Personally, I’ll skip the trash basket of the NFL and just eat the guacamole!
- Those men who went on Apollo 11 didn’t go without. They brought some with. Guacamole has been to space!
Now specifically about avocados:
- It used to be called an alligator pear & honestly I totally get it.
- It’s not just full of monounsaturated fat (that’s the good stuff), but it’s also going to provide you with fiber, potassium, & vitamins A, B, C, E (not D, but if you eat it outside then bam you got yourself nearly the whole first part of the alphabet in vitamins!) The avo packs a powerful punch!
- 50% of Americans eat it on a regular basis (I wonder what other food falls into this)
- It can soothe sunburn and tone your skin.
- The avo tree needs to have another avo tree close to it for successful reproduction. (cue googly heart eyes)
Maybe you learned something with me & maybe you didn’t.
Either way, I bet you want to go get you some guacamole now!
And you SHOULD! It’s National Guacamole Day.