Alright. So it’s no secret that I ride for Beautycounter. (or at least I hope it’s not a secret!) So let’s talk clean beauty products!
I don’t use all of their products and I also don’t exclusively use their products.
Because of Beautycounter I now know better. I can make better and safer decisions for me and my family.
And because of Beautycounter I have learned that high quality products are no joke AND worth the hype.
If you know me, I rarely say anything is worth the hype!
So real quick. Let me share the skincare products I keep in my daily rotation.
Then I can touch on why this all matters to me.
Truth be told, this is a little product I never thought much about. It wasn’t until I stopped using it consistently that I realized what a little power house it is.
Bonus? It lasts forever. I’ve had mine for over 6 months.
It’s main claim to fame is in its intention to absorb impurities from our skin. That comes from the binchotan charcoal that gets in for that deep clean and draws those impurities right out.
Two other power ingredients:
- Organic witch hazel – that tones and tightens
- Organic green tea – for that antioxidant punch to help minimize the appearance of pores
This bar is a safer choice over most because of its lack of parabens and fragrance. Trust me, it will hel detoxify your skin and leave you looking healthy.
This product is vegan and gluten & nut free.
Um…so HELLO to a luxury vacation spa for your face. No, but seriously. This stuff is a subtle citrus, silky heaven for your face. And your face will be seriously grateful for the blessing.
It’s aim is to brighten and nourish your face in order to improve its moisture.
It is formulated without synthetic fragrance or mineral oils.
- Vitamin C – brightens your skin (this is crucial for those with uneven skin tone and/or hyperpigmentation)
- Avocado oil – provides intense moisture
- Black currant oil – to enhance the radiance of your skin (read: glowwww)
This product is vegan and gluten & soy free.
I’m guilty… of being a total non believer in this product. I thought it was claiming too much & couldn’t possibly pack such a punch in such a simple product offering.
Well. I’m here to tell you that I was WRONG.
This power product really does boost the clarity and radiance of your skin. It evens out my skin tone and makes my pores nonexistent.
It does all this without synthetic fragrance, PEGs, or formaldehyde preservatives. The science behind this no-peel peel is groundbreaking, in my opinion.
Other power ingredients:
- Glycolic acid – meant to improve the texture of your skin
- Lactic acid – to stimulate cell renewal
- Citric acid – for evening out and reducing dark spots
This product is vegan and dairy free.
This hero product has been referred to as the swiss army knife. And that’s really no joke.
I’ve used it as a mask, as a cleanser, on my cuticles, on a scrape, on my elbows, and most consistently as a make-up melter offer!
It really does wonders in improving your skin’s hydration.
The cleansing balm uses cranberry seed oil as an antioxidant and mango seed butter for its hydrating benefits.
This product uses no synthetic fragrance, is vegan, and is gluten & soy free.
I use this every single night. It conditions my lips and doesn’t leave them sticky or slimy. And that’s good because I like to go to sleep with a good lather of lip moisturizer!
Beautycounter’s lip conditioner uses:
- Avocado oil to soften and protect
- Meadowfoam seed oil to lock in moisture
The kind I have, peppermint, uses natural essential oil and no synthetic fragrance.
This product is nut and gluten free.
*Interested in my top makeup picks? Go here!
So. Why did I get involved with Beautycounter?
Honestly? While it didn’t make a whole lot of sense to me initially either, the answer is pretty damn simple.
“Everyone means everyone”.
I wanted to be sure I played a part in making sure that everyone was in inclusive term.
Beautycounter’s mission is to Get safer products into the hands of everyone. And they back that up. Their foot is literally where their mouth is. You can see that in the steps they take into legislative buildings to meet with senators and discuss improving the regulations within the beauty industry. (I know this first hand, because I was one of those consultants who sat down with my senator, this year, to educate him & gain his support).
And Beautycounter puts their money where their mouth is in research, rigorous testing practices, their never list (list of ingredients they promise to never use due to their link to harmful effects), as well as in their partnership with other safer companies.
As a millennial, as a black woman, as a mother, I wholeheartedly believe that we vote with our dollars. I believe in what Beautycounter is doing for me and for the future generations. I don’t want my son or any of my “nieces” to have to worry about what ingredient is what, what it’s risks are, and what products it shows up in. Period.
I’ll leave you with a few points on why safety and this advocacy Beautycounter is all about is so important.
- Due to lack of regulation, beauty brands are not required to test for heavy metals or other known contaminants
- Beautycounter bans over 1500 ingredients (including hormone disrupting agents), and the US bans 30 – comparatively the EU bans approximately 1400
- The FDA has no oversight to recall products with known harmful ingredients
- “Fragrance” is considered a trade secret in the cosmetics and beauty industry, meaning companies don’t have to disclose what they put in their products under that label. (Feels safe, right?)
- The United States has not passed a major federal law to regulate the safety of ingredients used in personal care products since 1938 (Yeah, NOTHING has changed in 81 years….)
- Babies are being born pre-polluted. Study done with cord blood found that there were over 200 toxic chemicals in a babies cord blood.
- 1 in 2 men & 1 in 3 women will have cancer in their lifetime – only 10% of these cancer-stricken people will have a genetic link. (No, but seriously!!) That means 90% of these people have cancer largely because of environmental factors
- Of the over 80,000 chemicals on the market today – only 10% have ever been tested for safety (So, you know, only like 8,000. Cool.)
In case you didn’t know…
- B-corp certification. What’s that? Beautycounter is one of 2,655 companies who are held to a high standard & required to consider the impact of our decisions on workers, customers, suppliers, communities & the environment.
- EWG Certified. This certification asks companies to submit significantly more detailed information to help confirm that
- Companies are making full disclosure to their consumers T
- That their products are adequately preserved and free of contaminants T
- That manufacturing processes meet EWG’s rigorous criteria
By advocating for better regulations, Beautycounter is supporting the idea that a beauty industry can exist in which you don’t have to choose from a few companies doing right, but you can go to any store in the US and get whatever product you want (and at whatever cost you can afford) and still be safe because proper regulations will be in place for you to do just that.
Protect the consumer. That’s the goal.
Who doesn’t want that?! Why wouldn’t I support that?!