It is really no secret at this point that we live in a super-duper plastic world.
So much of what we use throughout the course of our daily lives is designed to be temporary.
You know what that translates to? A whole fuck-ton of trash. Just piles of trash chillin on our gorgeous (all-we-got) planet.
Think about this.
Think about every single toothbrush you’ve had from the time you started brushing your teeth until now.
Think about every single coffee (or hot chocolate, or tea) lid you’ve walked away with – from coffee shops, gas stations, hotels, work, etc.
Now that you have a picture of ALL the plastic in those two situations, think about this… each one of those pieces of plastic STILL exist.
Every. Single. One.
In landfills and in our oceans.
Matter of fact. Why don’t you just go ahead and google garbage patch islands. I’ll wait.
Let’s take this a step further.
The birds and fish (and other marine life) that eat the plastic… what happens to them?
Well, if it doesn’t kill them – and they are consumable – we are probably ingesting the plastic we dumped into the ocean in the first place.
Scientist are (for real) estimating that by 2050, there will be MORE plastic than FISH in the ocean.
So like, one toothbrush, two toothbrush, red lid, blue lid.
And like, what should we call deep-sea fishing at that point?
If that’s not enough to convince you, let me just give you a quick list of why this plastic obsessed world is no bueno:
- Plastic is literally made from fossil fuels (again, google can peep you to the harm & cost)
- It creates a huge carbon footprint
- Like I said, it lasts nearly forever. There is such a teeny-tiny percentage that is actually recycled
- It pollutes the ocean
- It causes hormone disruption
- Plastic leaches into your food and drink
- It kills marine animals and birds
- It’s entering our food chain
Okay. So what can we do?
Because I’m a big believer in that if you have the power to fuck up, you also have the equal power to do better.
Here are a few swaps you can make to reduce how much plastic you use:
- Use reusable straws (I use these)
- Reusable coffee cups
- Stainless steel water bottle
- Menstrual Cup (Deva Cup is good)
- Wax wraps (like these)
- Safety razor (this is going to be next for me, I just have to feel adult enough to trust myself)
- Shampoo bars
- Reusable grocery bag
- Skip produce plastic bags (Use this instead – I seriously LOVE mine)
- Bamboo toothbrushes (Even Zae is on board with these)
- Compostable garbage bags/liners
- Bamboo cotton swabs
- Reusable face wipes & makeup remover (I carry these with me everywhere)
Alright then, fine. I can keep this simple.
Because at the end of the day, you must do something to help us fix this overuse of plastic.
No single use.
- No plastic bottles
- No disposable coffee cups
- No plastic bags
- No straws
And remember this. Refuse. Rethink. Reduce.
Don’t make this JUST about a #PlasticFreeJuly, use the momentum to create a life change. The Earth, marine life, and your own health will thank you for it.
So will I.
*This post contains affiliate links.
**Like the look of the website? Check out AshePro