To be honest, I just don’t have a whole lot of words right now.
And I’m tired of yelling Black Lives Matter.
So, I’m going to borrow from many of the peers I have met in fighting for equity and justice.
IF you want to actually do something beyond sending your “heartbreak” & “thoughts and prayers”…
IF you want to be an actual ally…
IF you want to be anti-racist because you have finally learned being “not racist” is simply complacent & not enough for change…
If any of these categories fits where you are right now, then hopefully you can use something on this list to do something in the pursuit of demanding America be everything it has always only pretended to be.
- American Son
- Dear White People
- Fruitvale Station
To Use Your Voice
- Verbally tell people you are anti-racist & ask them to join you. Check out SURJ
- Join a local group that is focused on defunding the police
- Amplify Black voices
- Call local offices & demand both accountability and reform
- Ask what your local police department’s policy is on body cameras
- Donate to anti-white supremacy groups – Black Lives Matters local chapter, NAACP, Black Youth Project 100, The Sentencing Project, Campaign Zero, Color of Change
- Vote (after you do some diligent research and look beyond party lines – look and see where each candidate has voted & stands on policies and issues related to non-white populations)
- So You Wanna Talk About Race
- I’m Still Here: Black Dignity in a World Made for Whiteness
- The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness
- Just Mercy: A Story for Justice and Redemption
- White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism
- Blind Spot: Hidden Biases of Good People
Here’s the thing to those of you who are not Black.
I’m not saying it’s going to be easy & I’m also not saying a direct reward is yours for taking the stand for humanity.
Humanity should be enough of a reason in itself. Every single one of us has unconscious bias and it must be addressed. You cannot be anti racist if you are not first self aware.
What will they say about you when history is written about this time?
*photo by @missnehi